The Celtic Tenors have established themselves as the most successful classical crossover artists ever to emerge from Ireland. In 2000, following an impromptu audition at EMI in London, the Celtic Tenors were signed on the spot to an international record deal, a highly unusual event that was the talk of the music industry.
The Celtic Tenors continue to re-invent the whole tenor idiom by pioneering a new style of cool never before seen on the classical stage and by breaking the traditional stuffy tenor mould. This album was recorded by a grammy award winning team in the Hollywood Hills. Hard Times moves from the mould of traditional tenor album to recording the works of great North American songwriters from Stephen Foster to Bob Dylan.
While each of The Celtic Tenors have been influenced by the musical traditions from their own individual parts of Ireland, Daryl, James and Matthew show great flexibility in melding their voices to suit the appropriate classical, folk, Irish and pop genres. The Echo Award in Germany for Classical without Boundaries was presented to The Celtic Tenors in recognition of this fact.
With total album sales worldwide, including compilations, of over one million, and a full international touring schedule, the Celtic Tenors have topped the charts in the USA, Canada, Germany, the UK and Ireland.
The Celtic Tenors live show is an experience overflowing with vitality and variety from start to finish. The unique voices, charm and wit of Daryl, James and Matthew, combined with talented young Musical Director Colm Henry, combine an emotive journey with a thoroughly uplifting experience. Equally at home performing to large festival crowds or intimate concert halls and theatres, and whether backed by a live band, symphony orchestra, solo piano, or even acapella, their voices and personalities always shine through alongside their undeniable celtic charm.
• Have appeared on TV across the USA, Canada and Europe
• Signed to EMI Classics for three album deal after impromptu audition in London, 2000
• Top Ten US Billboard and Canadian Charts
• Coast to Coast PBS TV Special in the US
• No. 1 Chart Positions Ireland & Germany, No. 2 UK
• Triple Platinum selling artists in Ireland
• ECHO Germany Award Winners for "music without borders", a core concept of the group.
• Headlining major Celtic festivals around the world. (Skagen, London, Milwaukee, Dublin Ohio).
• Orchestral shows include BBC CO, Concertgebouw, Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Cincinnati Pops, Vancouver & Toronto SOs and individually have sung leading roles with top opera companies and performed in oratorio and concerts across the globe
• Have performed to private audiences for world leaders such as Bill Clinton and Kofi Annan (personally organised by Bono).
• Performed at international sporting events such as The Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix, hosted by Sheik Nahyan in 2009; The Opening Ceremony for Dubai Tennis Open in 2010 and many matches with European Champions in 2008 Munster Rugby at home in Thomond Park, Limerick.
• Have hosted the Rose of Tralee Dubai in May 2010, Comparing the show and providing full musical entertainment.
The Celtic Tenors (EMI 2000)
So Strong (EMI 2001)
The Irish Album (EMI 2003)
We Are Not Islands (DARA Records 2006)
Remember Me (Telarc US 2007)
Hard Times (Compass US 2009)
“This ensemble is world-class.” (De Gelderlander, Netherlands.)
“A complete package of crossover entertainment. A totally exhilarating experience.” (Bahrain Tribune)
“The Celtic Tenors sing with the practiced ease of singers who know each others voices like a comfortable pillow.” (Capital Times, Wisconsin.)
“I went in with high expectations, and so imagine what a pleasant surprise the Celtic Tenors were when they exceeeded those expectations.” (Lucid Culture, Calgary, Canada.)
“They wear their mantles as entertainers lightly, and beneath the stage banter and those corny jokes is a deep pool of talent, training and professionalism.” (Mount Vernon News, Ohio.)
“They have reinvented the whole tenor idiom.” (Phil Coulter, composer of “Remember Me”.)
“The finest version of ‘Danny Boy’ I have ever heard.” (President Bill Clinton).
“Their sound, a thoughtful fusion of opera and trad with minimalist arrangements is instantly ear-catching. Like a box of chocolates from a stranger, it’s sweet and unexpected. It’s a breath of fresh air to see real talent nurtured by a big label.” (Sunday Independent, Ireland.)
“The Celtic Tenors have taken their public by storm, and are every mother-in-law’s sexy dream.” (Hamburger Morgenpost, Hamburg.)
“Three separately and distinctive classically-trained tenors, who when they come together they are a superbly flawless unit. They combine the high standards of operatic singing with a delightfully informal sense of fun.” (The Irish Examiner)
“What is refreshing about the The Celtic Tenors is that it attempts to break the mould. Here you don’t just have three tenors singing well-known ballads in unison. Instead, the artists break new ground…” (The Irish Echo, Australia)